Our History

Previous

The First Sermon 1897

Based on Psalm 127, 1-2

 1 Unless the Lord builds a house, 

the work of the builders is wasted. 

Unless the Lord protects a city, 

guarding it with sentries will do no good. 

It is useless for you to work so hard 

from early morning until late at night, 

anxiously working for food to eat; 

for God gives rest to his loved ones.

The original St. Luke building was dedicated on December 5, 1897 on the SE corner of St. Lukus and Arisple Rd’s, five miles south and two miles east of St. Luke’s mother church, St. Paul Lutheran at Duluth, KS. During the following years, a cemetery was established NE accross the road from the church in 1899. A school and parsonage was built in 1900 and 1902. It was decided in late 1947, that the old church needed to be moved to the city of Wheaton to fill the needs of families who lived in the Wheaton area, including 38 members of St. Paul in Duluth. In 1949, the “Old Country Church,” as St. Luke was known, was dismantled and moved in parts to the new building site at Wheaton. In the meantime, services were held at the Wheaton Mercantile.  Also In 1949, construction was started on the new church. The first services held in the new structure, before it was completed. in the new church basement from June to September 1949. The church was dedicated on October 2, 1949. The first Communion Service was on October 30, 1949. A new church cemetery was dedicated north of Wheaton on October 1, 1950.